Why you should be wary of Laundry Detergent Sheets claiming to be made with “Natural Enzymes"
by Beth Hall on Mar 08, 2023
Many laundry brands actively advertise the inclusion of enzymes in their products because of the well known benefits with regard to stain removal and their ability to increase the effectiveness of the detergent.
These detergents fall into the Biological (Bio) category. Biological powders contain enzymes that break down fat, grease and starch, which are often the culprits for the toughest of stains.
Most brands also offer a Non Biological (Non-Bio) alternative which is promoted for use on sensitive skin as these don’t contain enzymes.
Whilst there may be benefits for effective cleaning, there are certainly a fair amount of less positive impacts from the use of enzymes.
Firstly, enzymes can cause skin irritation and allergies in some people. Enzymes can strip away natural oils and cause dryness, itching, and redness. Additionally, enzymes can break down the fibres in clothes over time, causing them to weaken and deteriorate more quickly. This can result in clothes that look and feel worn out, even after a few washes.
Furthermore, some enzymes used in laundry products can also harm the environment as they can be released into the wastewater stream, they can harm aquatic life and contribute to water pollution.
Arise a new kind of laundry detergent
Over recent years, laundry detergent sheets have become the newest cleaning innovation on the market with the majority having huge ‘eco-friendly’ claims. These pre-measured sheets are filled with concentrated detergent and dissolve in the wash cycle without the hassle of pouring detergent into a cup. They are convenient to store and come in a variety of scent options, plus there are no plastic bottles to throw away when you finish using them. Over the last few years we have been tirelessly working behind the scenes perfecting our formulation to bring to market the first UK MADE laundry detergent sheets, which provide effective cleaning power and are kind to skin and the planet.
Washing Made Simple!
There are currently A LOT of competitors in this growing space and although it is great to see the popularity of the product type growing, we have a couple of concerns with some of the claims from some of these brands. One in particular...
Don’t take everything you read at face value
Some laundry detergent sheet brands are claiming that their sheets contain the fat & grease fighting enzymes that we touched on earlier and are describing them as ‘natural enzymes’. Thanks to our vast experience in the manufacture of the sheets we can confirm that laundry detergent sheets cannot contain enzymes and this is why…
- Enzymes work by catalysing chemical reactions that help dissolve and remove tough dirt and stains from clothes, however, enzymes are sensitive to high temperatures and can lose their effectiveness during the manufacturing process if the temperature is too high.
- Enzymes are proteins, and high heat can denature the proteins, causing them to unravel and lose their structure. When the structure of an enzyme is disrupted, it can no longer function properly and becomes inactive. In addition, high heat can also destroy the delicate balance of enzymes and other ingredients in the laundry product.
- Enzymes work best within a specific temperature range, known as the optimal temperature range. Within this range, the enzymes can function effectively and break down stains and dirt. However, if the temperature exceeds the optimal range, the enzymes can become denatured, which means that they lose their three-dimensional structure and their ability to function correctly., As a result, the enzyme will no longer be able to break down stains and dirt, and its cleaning power will be reduced.
Laundry Detergent Sheets HAVE to be manufactured at high heats!
The reasons above are why Simple Living Eco do not offer enzymes. They cannot be correctly used in laundry sheet manufacture and so it is pointless to even try. This alongside the clear negative impact they can have on the skin and the environment means we as a business had to strive to find the perfect formulation and solution to offer everything that is needed for effective, but simple and kind laundry.
Simple Living Eco’s formula contains 4 simple and natural ingredients which are:
- Sodium Laurel Sulfate, a natural surfactant derived from coconut oil
- Sodium coco Sulfate, a mild surfactant safe for sensitive skin
- Fatty Alcohol Ethoxylate, a surfactant derived from coconut oil
- Coconut DEA, a foaming agent derived from coconuts
You can trust with Simple Living Eco you can believe everything you read, and you should make the switch today to our UK Made, eco-friendly, skin friendly laundry and household products.